Boy, 15, and third man accused of shooting at Super Bowl victory parade
Boy, 15, and third man accused of shooting at Super Bowl victory parade

I play

Two more people, including a 15-year-old boy, have been charged in connection with the deadly shooting that erupted among a crowd of about one million people gathered last month to celebrate the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl victory, Missouri prosecutors said Thursday.

The teenager has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon and armed criminal action and is being held at the Juvenile Detention Center, the Missouri Family Court Juvenile Clerk’s Office said. A certification hearing will be held to determine if the teenager should be tried as an adult.

One man, Terry Young, 20, was charged Thursday with second-degree murder, unlawful use of a weapon and two counts of armed criminal action, Jackson County District Attorney Gene Peters Baker said.

“We get complex cases, but this case was challenging,” Bakers said, noting the serious impact of last month’s shooting as well as the scope of the police investigation.

She noted that all of the shooters who have been identified have been taken into custody, but additional charges are pending. Officials earlier said 12 people brandished firearms in the shooting and at least six of them fired shots.

Earlier this week, authorities said two other men had been charged with murder and two other juveniles were being held on “weapons-related charges and resisting arrest.”

The Super Bowl parade shooting is also the intense focus of federal officials, who are trying to track every weapon fired during the shooting. Federal authorities said several guns were found on the ground after the shooting, and three men have been charged with federal firearms charges in connection with the illegal weapons used in the shooting.

6 people have now been charged in the Kansas City shooting

The shooting began around 2:00 p.m. on February 14, when Chiefs fans gathered for the celebration outside Union Station in Kansas City. More than 20 people, ages 8-47, suffered gunshot wounds in the shooting. Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a mother of two and local DJ, was fatally shot.

Prosecutors said the video showed Young fired several times after an argument broke out and one man pulled out a firearm.

Dominique M. Miller, 18, and Lyndell Mays, 23, were charged days after the shooting with second-degree murder, two counts of armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon.

Although all three adults have been charged with murder, Baker said a bullet from Miller’s firearm fatally struck Lopez-Galvan.

One witness said a group of people approached Mays and another person and they “started arguing about why they were staring at each other,” Kansas City police Detective Grant Spaking said in a probable cause statement. Mays allegedly admitted to shooting first and firing twice, and he “admitted he shouldn’t have drawn a gun,” Spiking noted.

Second degree murder is punishable in Missouri by 10 years to life in prison. Prosecutors asked that Young be held on $1 million cash bail.

Court records do not list an attorney for him.

Federal prosecutors are investigating weapons used in the shooting

As authorities in Missouri file charges against the attackers in last month’s attack, federal prosecutors are investigating where the weapons in question came from. So far, three Missouri men have been charged in U.S. District Court with illegal firearms trafficking and straw purchases related to two guns linked to the parade shooting.

“Stopping straw buyers and preventing the illegal trafficking of firearms is our first line of defense against gun violence,” said U.S. Attorney Teresa Moore.

The one gun officers recovered after the shooting was purchased by 22-year-old Fedo Antonia Manning of Frontier Justice in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, in 2022 and traded on the black market, according to court documents. Based on how the gun was found, officials said it may have fired several shots before it was abandoned.

Manning allegedly traded in dozens of firearms, court documents said, and 15 guns he had previously purchased that law enforcement officers seized were in the hands of other people, including several that legally prohibited from possessing firearms.

According to another criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri, a Stag Arms .300-caliber handgun that authorities recovered after the shooting was purchased at a gun show in Kansas City in November.

Ronel Dewayne Williams Jr., 21, allegedly bought the firearm for Chelyn Hendrick Groves, 19, who went with him to the gun show but was too young to legally buy it himself, court documents said.

Missouri has some of the laxest gun control measures in the country, according to the gun control advocacy and research group Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. As of 2017, it is legal for people to carry concealed, loaded weapons without a permit or background check, according to Giffords.

Contributing: N’dea Yancey-Bragg, Cybele Mayes-Osterman, USA TODAY

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *